DuckTales is an American animated television series developed by Matt Youngberg and Francisco Angones and produced by Disney Television Animation. It is a reboot based on the 1987 series with the same name, which itself based on the Disney comics by Carl Barks. The show premiered on August 12, 2017.
In December 2020, Disney announced the third season would be the last and "fans will get an epic season finale in 2021."
After not speaking to one another for ten years, Scrooge McDuck is reunited with Donald Duck after he and his three nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie move into McDuck Manor. The presence of the newcomers rekindles Scrooge's spirit of adventure, leading the group to go on many new treasure-hunting expeditions, while the nephews and their new friend Webby uncover the truth behind what caused their uncles to become estranged and retire from adventuring.
Cast and characters
- David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck
- Danny Pudi as Huey Duck
- Ben Schwartz as Dewey Duck
- Bobby Moynihan as Louie Duck
- Kate Micucci as Webby Vanderquack
- Tony Anselmo as Donald Duck
- Beck Bennett as Launchpad McQuack
- Toks Olagundoye as Mrs. Beakley
- Paget Brewster as Della Duck
Section in need of expansion.
Matt Youngberg and Francisco Angones grew up watching the original series as children and stated that they had always wanted to develop an updated version for a newer generation. Youngberg said, "We're hoping that in thirty years, the kids who watch our show will then be bringing back the next version of DuckTales because they loved what we did so much."
In May 2015, Terry McGovern, the original voice of Launchpad McQuack, stated in an interview that the entire voice cast from the original series would not be returning for the reboot, which made him "heartsick" at the news. The new voice cast for the series was revealed on December 16, 2016 in a video where they sing an a cappella version of the original theme song in promotion of the news. The following May, Lin-Manuel Miranda was announced as the voice of Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera / Gizmoduck. The character was changed to being Latino due to Lin-Manuel's heritage and because Angones felt that there were not enough positive Latino superheroes. In June, more cast members, including Tony Anselmo reprising his role as Donald Duck, were announced, and during the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con, Disney announced that Darkwing Duck would also make an appearance in the TV series.
At the 2019 San Diego Comic-Con, several characters from other Disney Television Animation cartoons were revealed to appear in the show's third season; the Rescue Rangers from Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers; Kit Cloudkicker and Molly Cunningham from TaleSpin; Rhinokey and Butterbear from The Wuzzles, and Gosalyn Mallard and Taurus Bulba from Darkiwng Duck, as well as Chip and Dale (based on their Rescue Rangers incarnations), Goofy (based on his Goof Troop incarnation), and Daisy Duck.
The art style of the show is heavily influenced not just by Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge comics, but also some of his paintings. The theme song, written by Mark Mueller for the 1987 series, was re-recorded for the 2017 reboot. It was arranged by Michael "Smidi" Smithand and TJ Stafford and sung by Felicia Barton.
Donald Duck has a larger role in this version compared to the 1980s version, where he was downplayed due to the fact that the earlier version had been restricted by an edict from The Walt Disney Company. It stated that the television studio could not use Donald or any of the other stars from Disney's Golden Age shorts, only allowing Donald to make short cameos to set up storylines. However, this restriction was lifted shortly after the original version of DuckTales ended.
- Main article: List of episodes (DuckTales 2017)
- Main article: DuckTales (2017) videography
- Main article: DuckTales (2017) shorts
- Main article: DuckTales (2017) comics
- Main article: DuckTales (2017) games
- Main article: DuckTales (2017) books
- Main article: DuckTales (2017) merchandise
- Main article: This Duckburg Life
- This is the first time since Quack Pack that Huey, Dewey, and Louie have separate physical appearances and different voice actors.
- Huey is the only nephew to sport his traditional color-coded cap.
- This series marks the animated debut of the nephews' mother Della Duck as well as many other comics characters like Cousin Fethry, John D. Rockerduck, Jeeves, the Gilded Man, Neighbor Jones, Phooey, Bombie the Zombie, and Matilda McDuck.
- For the first time in an animated production, Donald Duck wears a black sailor suit as in the classic Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge comics by Carl Barks and Don Rosa as opposed to his usual blue sailor suit.
- Eight actors have now appeared in both the original and reboot including Tony Anselmo, Michael Bell, Corey Burton, Jim Cummings, Rob Paulsen, Keone Young, Russi Taylor, and Tress MacNeille.
- Excluding Kaitlyn Robrock, all the main cast voices from the currently airing series The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse, along with concluded series Wander Over Yonder have provided a voice for the Ducktales reboot.
- Russi Taylor originally provided the Minnie Mouse voice for the Mickey Mouse 2013 series that eventually became The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse, and she also played a role in the new Ducktales series, but due to her passing in 2019, Kaitlyn Robrock replaced her in The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse and other media.
- Co-producer Frank Angones wanted to include Mickey Mouse in the series and proposed stories that would feature and/or mention him. However, the Disney executives forbade the team from using Mickey in the show; thus any ideas involving him were denied.
- While the television movie premiered in August, the actual series premiered in the same month the original series premiered in 1987.
- Not counting the day, this also coincides with the 30th anniversary of the original series.
- The theme song, written by Mark Mueller for the original series, has been updated and is performed by singer Felicia Barton.
- Many of the scenes in the theme song, as well as the portraits in Scrooge's manor, are based on paintings done by Carl Barks.
- "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" was a huge influence on the series and it was required reading for all the writers.
- The creators of the series wrote it "like a family comedy. The family just happens to be the greatest adventurers of all time".
- Like Carl Barks and Don Rosa's comics and unlike the original television series, Donald assumes a major role rather than making just guest appearances.
- Although the series has humor, it also has serious moments.
- All the episodes so far have an exclamation mark at the end of their title.
Notes and References
- "Yes, ‘DuckTales’ is Really Done (Updated: Now Confirmed By Disney)", Collider, December 1, 2020
- Della was promoted to the main cast for Season 3 after having a cameo in Season 1 and being a part of the supporting cast during Season 2.
- Mickey Mouse in 2017's DuckTales
|DuckTales (2017) media|
|Episodes • Shorts • Comics • Games • Books • Videography • Merchandise|
|Welcome to Duckburg! • The Lost Key Of Tralla La • 30 Things • Webby Reacts • The World's Longest Deathtrap! • Fly • Dewey Dew-Night! • Duckburg's Funniest Home Videos! • DuckFAILS!|
|The Chilling Secret of the Lighthouse! • The Repeating Revenge of the Screaming Duck! • Big Trouble at Little Lake! • The Great Experiment of the Washing Machine! • A Viking at My Door! • Old Monteplumage Had a Chicken! • Cheating Like Nostradogmus! • Beware of the Phenomenal Pumpkin People! • A Series of Unfortunate Substitutions! • Fight! • Go, Go Golden Years! • Happy, Happy Valley! • The Giant Butterfly of Duckburg! • There Is No Place Like a Ghost Town! • Welcome to Beagle Island! • The Stone of Truth! • Sleep (Walk) of Doom! • The Beast in the Board Room! • Spies Like Us! • The Frightful Family Fishing Trip! • The Risk McDuck Refused! • The Twisted Tale of the Two-Headed Horse! • The Hedge Enigma! • On the Tail of the Run-Amok Raven! • When Luck Ran Out! • Nightmare on Bear Mountain! • Horror in the Highlands! • The Greatest Adventure, the Greatest Price! • Countdown to Termination! • The Mighty Ducks of Duckburg! • The Monsters Are Due at McDuck Manor! • The Incredible Shrinking Webby! • The Greatest Invention He's Never Had! • Marooned in Mystery Mansion! • Money-Grubbing Hooligans from the Deep! • Flintheart... McDuck?!? • Saga of the Super-Intern! • Silence is Golden! • Phantom Science! • Where No Duck Has Gone Before, Sort Of! • Will the Real Launchpad Please Stand Up! • The Renaissance Faire...Affair! • Under the Cover of Can'tarctica!|
|DuckTales: Duckburg Quest • Minecraft: DuckTales Adventure Map|