|“||No! Family is supposed to help you! Not hold you hostage!... You're the monster here and I know just the hunter to take you down!||”|
–Lena standing up to Magica
Lena is inspired by Minima De Spell and the original Magica's sentient shadow from Magica's Shadow War. She is the sentient shadow of Magica De Spell (2017) who had created her like a shadow figure but took on the form of a teenage girl with the original intention of bringing about the end of Scrooge and his family.
Lena is the best friend of Webby Vanderquack. She's claimed to be one year older than Webby. She doesn't have similar traits to Magica because of her own desire to obtain Scrooge's No #1 Dime to gain her freedom, rather than revenge. Although she valued her friendship with Webby, she initially disliked family and was stubborn and rebellious. But upon realizing what family was for, she tried to warn Scrooge about Magica, but to no avail. She is shown to have become brave and selfless as she saved Webby's life and stood up to Magica, who doesn't care about her at all and took away her physical form. Lena survived and was trapped in Webby's shadow until Webby and Violet freed her. Lena realized that all families were not like Magica. She then moved in with Violet, and Violet's two dads adopted her.
FamilyFriendship Hates Magic! When seeing Webby and Violet bond over their love for the supernatural and mystical history, Lena gets jealous of Webby's new friend. Even though Webby can't hear her Lena shouts out her disapproval of Violet and gets worried and over-protective when seeing Magica's amulet. During a séance, Lena accidentally brings them to the shadow realm and she and Violet argue at first but then they worked together to save Webby from creatures known as Tulpas.
Once the three returned to the real world, Lena was glad to not only have brought her old friend back but find a new one in the process. According to Frank Angones, it was meant to be mentioned in "A Nightmare on Killmotor Hill!" that Lena moved in with Violet and her parents but this was cut out of the episode. Challenge of the Senior Junior Woodchucks! shows this and Lena being a supportive sister cheering for Violet during the competition.
Though much isn't known about her fathers, it can be assumed that they adopted her before the events of "A Nightmare on Killmoter Hill!" due to a mention of such that was cut from the episode.
FriendsThe Beagle Birthday Massacre!" when Webby stays back on the beach while the boys went sailing. Luring Webby by creating fake bottled messages, Webby was interested in her friendship as she found her sharp wit and her worldly travels to be very cool. As Lena invited her to venture with her through their trials with the Beagle Boys, they developed a very close bond. Even when Lena was going against Huey, Dewey, and Louie, she stood by Webby and was supportive of her. Webby loves having the mischievous Lena as a friend, which is what Lena needed to assist Magica De Spell to get Scrooge's number one dime for her freedom. However, after many adventures and sleepovers, Lena found it hard going against Webby. Lena wants to look out for her, yet it's hard for Lena to fight Magica alone.
Historyabandoned amphitheater. Lena invites Webby to a party held in the Duckburg Junkyard, not mentioning the party was a birthday celebration for notorious crime lord and Beagle family matriarch, Ma Beagle. Leading the various branches of the Beagle family tree on a chase through the city, Lena and Webby develop a good friendship and jokingly reference the highlights of their adventure, much to the confusion of others.
However, at the end of the episode, Lena reveals her pendant and summons the shadowy spirit of her aunt Magica De Spell, informing her that her infiltration of Scrooge's inner circle was a success.
As Magica questions why she did it, Beakley apologizes for misjudging her and is still welcome to spend time with Webby. After Beakley leaves, Lena explains that she has to "play the long game" to earn more trust.
Lena eventually uses magic in a positive way through her friendship with Webby and stops the shark. At her home, Magica reprimands her for ruining the plan and reminds her that she has to do what she says if she ever wants to be free from her. Lena sadly drops Webby's friendship bracelet in the water.
While searching, she encounters an object that shows her worst nightmare; betraying and hurting Webby after completing Magica's plan. She argues once more with Magica over her and decides she's had enough.However, before she can tell Scrooge and Webby, Magica possesses her to keep her from revealing the truth.
By reading Lena's journal, Webby and the triplets discover that Lena was created from the shadow by Magica following the sorceress' last battle with Scrooge atop Mount Vesuvius.Later they continue by showing more about Lena. Its said fifteen years ago Magica and Scrooge McDuck fought which ended in Scrooge sealing Magica away in his Number-One Dime. However, before Magica was sealed she gave her shadow corporeal form and transformed her staff into a necklace that would give the shadow magic. The shadow took the form of a young girl "Lena" and Magica would manifest in its own shadow to communicate with her and give Lena orders to enact her revenge.
Although Lena referred to Magica as her aunt the two held no love for each other with Magica seeing her as a tool for revenge and Lena desiring freedom from her, which Magica promised to give in exchange for helping her steal Scrooge's dime before the Lunar Eclipse that would grant her enough power to escape and have her revenge.
During the final battle with Magica, Webby and Dewey are about to be destroyed when Webby's friendship bracelet given to Lena in "JAW$" glows with a blue light as a shield forms before Lena's spirit proceeds to attack Magica before appearing to be destroyed.
Despite her sacrifice to stop Magica, it is implied that Lena—or some part of her—survived and has merged with Webby's shadow.
At the beginning of this episode, Webby goes to the library, together with Lena, who is an invisible shadow. At the library, Webby meets a new friend, Violet, and they decide to have a sleepover, due to their similar interests.While Lena is in the shadow dimension, she doesn't trust Violet at all and tries to communicate with Webby to warn her, while she and Violet try to summon ghosts. Eventually, Webby and Violet get to communicate with Lena, by going into the shadow dimension, where multiple shadows surround Webby. These shadows turn out to be Lena's envy.
Together with Violet, Lena saves Webby from the Magica-looking shadows. In the end, Webby and Violet bring Lena back, with the power of Webby's friendship bracelet, and the three hang out, by making creepy face masks.
At the beginning of this episode, Scrooge is going through his treasures senses something is wrong and goes searching for the disturbance then hears Webby from a nearby room then opens the door and sees Lena, Webby, and Violet fighting a grizzly bear.Moonlanders. She is first found hanging around at a playground keeping out of sight of the Moonlanders before going to the money bin to offer help and plan. She is captured
-presumably- along with the rest of Scrooge's allies by Lunaris' forces though before that manages to use her magic to fight off the Moonlanders with Violet and the rest of her friends. She then later appears after Lunaris' defeat with Violet, regrouping with the duck family and unaware that the group is being observed by F.O.W.L.Ty, and Indy. Prior to the challenge, she enthusiastically cheers Violet on and instructs her on trash-talking Huey. At the ceremony for Violet's victory, Lena again expresses great enthusiasm, running up to Violet and hugging her after she is named Senior Woodchuck.
- Skilled hand-to-hand combatant: As demonstrated throughout the series Lena is able to hold her own in hand to hand combat, especially when she nearly bested Magica while she was distracted.
- Occult knowledge: Due to growing up in the care of Magica, Lena possesses great knowledge of the occult and other things of mystical origins.
- Sumerian Talisman Empowerment: Lena has many abilities with the amulet in her possession. Without the amulet, she is essentially powerless. With the amulet fusing with her and therefore enabling Lena to use her magic at all times, this is no longer a weakness.
- Telekinesis: Lena is shown able to lift heavy objects as seen in the episode "Terror of the Terra-Firmians!" where she uses it to lift the train and help Mrs. Beakley to get out from below it.
- Transfiguration: Lena can transform objects into other things as shown in "Moonvasion!" where she transformed one of the moon landers' weapons into a bird.
As Magica's Shadow
- Levitation: In her shadow form Lena levitates the train car off of Beakley and the two escape.
As Webby's Shadow
- Shadow Physiology: While in her original form which was a shadow, Lena had similar abilities to that of a ghost such as phasing through walls and floating. These powers seem to be exclusive to her shadow form and cannot be used in her normal form.
- Intangibility: In her shadow form Lena is intangible meaning she is able to phase through walls.
- Levitation: In her shadow form Lena can briefly levitate off the ground, though not for long.
- Sumerian Talisman/Amulet: The talisman is the only object that allows Lena to control some abilities, so she constantly needs to wear it in case of emergencies as well as to keep her evil aunt with her. After being freed from the shadow dimension, the amulet fused with Lena giving her access to its magical properties at all times.
"It's not an adventure if you're invited." - Lena to Webby in The Beagle Birthday Massacre!
"That's cute, with the names and the color-coded outfits... is that your thing, you're all exactly the same?" - Lena to Huey, Dewey, and Louie in The Beagle Birthday Massacre!
"Sure, blame the mysterious rebel, playing by her own rules." - Lena to Mrs. Beakley in Terror of the Terra-firmians!
"The amulet thing is already in the bin, so I just hang out here and wait, right?" - Lena To Magica in "Jaw$!"
"Maybe, I'm tired of following orders." - Lena to Magica in "Jaw$!"
"With the hand of my friend's friend, we bring bitter jealousy to an end." - Lena and Violet in Friendship Hates Magic!
"I'm just...so tired of fighting it. I am her." - Lena to Webby in A Nightmare on Killmotor Hill!
"Woo! That's my sister from a couple misters!" - Lena cheering for Violet in Challenge of the Senior Junior Woodchucks!
- 4. The Beagle Birthday Massacre!
- 5. Terror of the Terra-firmians!
- 14. Jaw$!
- 19. The Other Bin of Scrooge McDuck!
- 23. The Shadow War!
- 14. Friendship Hates Magic!
- 18. Happy Birthday, Doofus Drake! (non-speaking cameo)
- 19. A Nightmare on Killmotor Hill!
- 24. Moonvasion!
Click here to view this page's gallery.
- Lena is the latest of a number of niece characters created for Magica De Spell, her predecessors including Minima De Spell.
- Lena was created by Magica, so technically Magica is not her aunt, in fact, it would be in some ways her mother (in the sense of creator/creation).
- Lena LeStrange was her placeholder name as a means of hiding the fact that she was related to Magica; the surname was used in the official summary for the DuckTales #8 comic.
- Lena probably does not age as she has not changed anything since her creation 15 years ago until "The Shadow War!" as seen in a flashback.
- One of the covers of DuckTales (IDW) #9 says that Lena failed boarding schools.
- Lena's shirt came from the Featherweights band during their concert in Paris.
- ↑ Twitter - Frank Angones.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Angones, Frank. Question, there's been a bit of a confusion, is.... “reas-of-sunshine asked:
Question, there's been a bit of a confusion, is Lena's last name LeStrange or deSpell?
Le Strange was a placeholder from a long time ago to make sure that no one leaked the fact that she was a DeSpell. It was never meant as any kind of official anything.”
- ↑ Angones, Frank. Oh and how old is Lena? Ik that she's in her....
- ↑ https://suspendersofdisbelief.tumblr.com/post/187616858221/is-lena-staying-with-the-family-at-the-manor-or#notes