The First Adventure! is the sixteenth episode of Season 3 and the 63rd episode overall of DuckTales 2017. It aired on November 16, 2020 on Disney XD.
Scrooge is forced to babysit young Donald and Della Duck as they go on their first adventure to find a powerful artifact, unaware that Bradford is taking on this mission personally.
In the 1960s, Beakley, then known as Agent 22, brings in Black Heron after she tried to carve her face into Mount Neverest. Bradford Buzzard, an accountant at S.H.U.S.H., pitches his idea to director Ludwig Von Drake to transform the organization into an all-powerful overview that retains peace and order in the world. Von Drake scoffs at the idea, especially since it sounds more like an evil villain organization. With no other option, Bradford secretly meets with an incarcerated Heron and pitches his idea for O.W.L. (Organization for World Larceny). Heron likes the idea, but adds an "F" at the beginning for "F.O.W.L.", which Bradford reluctantly accepts. He then frees Heron, allowing her to escape.
Years later, Scrooge McDuck is tending to his corporate business dealings with the help of his still living butler, Duckworth. He is informed by him that his sister Hortense has left her children Donald Duck and Della Duck with him after they placed a firecracker under their father's chair which put him in the hospital. Scrooge wants nothing to do with them due to his work, but after being informed by Beakley about an artifact that needs to be recovered, Della excitedly convinces Scrooge to take herself and a grungy Donald along with him.
While on the plane, Scrooge tells Donald and Della about the Papyrus of Binding, an ancient scroll that whatever is written on it becomes reality. The last holder of the scroll was the famed pirate Yellow Beak. Heron suddenly reveals herself to be the one piloting the plane, and she and Bradford jump off with the intent to let it crash. However, Della manages to get the plane to land safely on Phantom Island, much to Heron's confusion and Bradford's irritation towards the fact that Heron chose to be blunt about her work.
Scrooge, Donald and Della traverse the island and set off a trap set up by Heron. The trap launches Donald in the air who spots a pirate ship wrecked on a tall mountain side and informs the group when he lands. Heron wants to use the Papyrus for world domination, but Bradford informs her that the reason he wants it is to prevent other people from using it, as it takes everything literally and could be harmful if the wrong thing is written.
The Ducks reach the ship and discover the bones of Yellow Beak who had written a message on the Papyrus revealing that nothing, but misfortune befell him from the artifact and that his final request was to be freed from its curse which was done when Donald and Della pulled the Papyrus from his bones. Heron and Bradford arrive with the former attempting to use the Papyrus to have "Scrooge's sidekicks perish". However, Scrooge does not view Donald and Della as his sidekicks; they are his family.
A fight for the Papyrus breaks out and Heron uses it to bring Yellow Beak's bones to life and fight Scrooge. Yellow Beak gets knocked off the ship by Della while Donald angrily attacks Heron. Bradford gets the Papyrus and uses it to make himself disappear and have everyone forget that he was even there. Heron threatens to harm Donald and Della, but Scrooge writes on the Papyrus that only the rightful heir of McDuck can claim it and that those who attempt to harm any of them will be incapable to getting it. Heron falls off the ship attempting to grab it.
Scrooge realizes that he did indeed have fun on this adventure and welcomes Donald and Della to any future adventures. Back at home, Bradford applies to work for Scrooge, who true to the Papyrus cannot remember him from the adventure, and he accepts. As Scrooge makes him his CFO at his company, Bradford ironically declares that it will be the start of a beautiful friendship.
- Main Cast Absences: Huey, Dewey, Louie, Webby, and Launchpad
- This episode features the plot of the series storyline.
- This episode takes place before the events of the series.
- The note Scrooge receives from Hortense is reference to the Donald Duck comic "Donald's Nephews".
- Duckworth mentions Tralla La and it's bottle cap factory which is a direct reference to the Carl Banks comic "Tralla La" where he drops a billion bottle caps on Tralla la.
- Scrooge's feat of discovering the Treasure of the Ten Avatars is a reference to the Don Rosa comic of the same name.
- This is the 2nd episode where neither Huey, Dewey, Louie, or Webby appear.
- To get him, his niece and nephew over the gorge to Yellow Beaks ship, Scrooge uses his pogo cane to bounce to the other side, a reference to the first two DuckTales video Games and DuckTales Remastered
- Due to Russi Taylor's death in 2019, Cristina Vee took over the role as the voice of Young Donald Duck.
- The story Scrooge tells Donald and Della is a reference to the first story arc of the original series.
- Yellow Beak's appearance is a reference to the Carl Barks story Donald Duck Finds Pirate Gold
- The Bermuda Trapezoid combines, at least in name, the Bermuda Triangle, a real world area that appeared in the original series episode Bermuda Triangle Tangle, and the Bearmuda Trapezoid, a parody of the triangle that was featured in TaleSpin.
- "Project87" may be a reference to the premiere date of DuckTales 1987.